CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Back in the Day

Today, my mother and I met my Grandpa and his 4 sisters for lunch. Each time we do so, it is such a treat. Not only are his sisters quite entertaining as they often bicker just like sisters do, but they reminisce about life back in the day. Over the weekend, while at my aunt and uncle's, we discussed life for one who has lived 90-100 years. I said that I would love to have the opportunity to just sit down with those "young at heart" and inquire about how things were in the "good ole' days." We heard a bit about that while eating our meal today. Evidently, my Great-Grandfather (who died long before I was born) would store his coffee in a whiskey bottle. Several times, he was stopped by the police as they thought he was drinking whiskey. I learned who my Dad takes after on a couple of things - my Great-Grandfather and my Great Uncle Bill (I also never knew him). My Great-Grandfather would make his food black with the amount of black pepper he would use. Likewise, my Dad does the same. Every Saturday, all of the family used to visit my Great-Grandparents house and be fed apricot preservatives. I can't help but think that life was much more enjoyable then as people weren't so busy that they could not build relationships. Sunday afternoons were a time of rest and visitation with friends and family; a time to sit out on front porches and talk and laugh. I look forward to the next time we are able to get together and I am able to hear more about life back then. The older people long to and love to tell these stories too.