CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Jubilee in the Open Air


Every once in a while, we receive a mailing from the city with information as to activities that will be taking place in the community & so forth. Months ago, one of these mailings arrived & my dad looked through & noticed that there would be a number of free concerts at the park by the City Hall. A couple of weeks ago, on a Thursday evening, my dad & I loaded up the car with our lawn chairs & made our way to join the many others who were there to enjoy some music.

The band that was playing (a local band) was Sins of the Pioneer. They did a bit of Creole/Cajun music as well as R&B. I've never been to New Orleans but the music they were playing made me think of that which I envision hearing down in the bayou. I gotta say, kind of made me hungry for some gumbo, Jambalaya, red beans & rice too. Now, the band was not the best band I've ever heard by any means but for no charge & for something fun to do in the evening, it was good. In a couple of weeks, there's another concert--Broadway showtunes or something..should be good. In August, there's a night of Golden Oldies & Country music. I'm hoping to make it to all of those.