CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Everything Changes

After working today, I journeyed to the local mall to pick up a birthday card for a friend. A coworker had recommended a new bbq place in the food court area. Having not had lunch yet, I decided to give it a try. I love bbq & figured it couldn't be bad. I had not been near that part of the mall since Christmas time so I was very surprised to see that a diner had been added, McDonald's was gone & now, the bbq place was in it's spot. My how much things change in just a short amount of time. I recall as kids, my Cousin Chanda & I getting dropped off at the mall to "hang out." Our time there mostly consisted of us riding up & down the elevators for entertainment (specifically the elevator that was in SEARS), visiting Mr. Bulky's for Candy & also eating at Sbarros Pizza & Pasta (once Taco Bell was added, we ate there a lot because we had little money). Oddly enough, Sbarro's is one of the only remaining eating establishments at the mall that was there when we were young (did I really just say that? Am I getting old or what?). As I ate my bbq (which, by the way, was very good), I thought about all of our times there as pre-teens. Then, as I was leaving, I saw the huge DSW store across from the mall that replaced Dierbergs (grocery store) after many years. During my years at One Way at Mid Rivers (where I was hired on at & spent my first 4 years with One Way), I would oftentimes walk to Dierbergs to get a soda or snack. Now, Dierbergs is no longer there--it's just down the road from our home instead. I had done my shopping at the mall (I found the perfect card & was also able to buy a MIZZOU t-shirt with my gift card I received from someone) & was driving home. I thought about all of the changes that have taken place over the years. 15-16 (I forget) years ago, when my parents built this house, the land behind us was just that-land. My best friend, Stacey, & I would walk through the fields or around & up to HUCKS to get Clearly Canadian Flavored Sparkling Water. Today, the land behind us is home to a custard stand, Sonic, a plaza that includes a Chinese restaurant as well as Subway, insurance companies, etc. When we look out our windows, we no longer see SaltLick Road...we see a privacy fence between us & Sonic. Sometimes, I miss the way things used to be.