CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Battle Raged


Long before we arrived in NC, we were researching what we could do during our visit. Once we arrived, Jen picked up a number of brochures from at the airport. We read over them & decided to visit a nearby battlefield. Before we went, we ate lunch at a wonderful burger joint that was not too far away. They had frozen custard but I resisted the temptation (not really--I just knew everyone else was ready to go & no one was going to want to wait on me to eat since I'm such a slow eater anyway!) & did not partake. Once we arrived at the Bentonville Battlefield, we were able to watch a short film giving us a bit of history of the Civil War as well as the land which we were standing on.



After taking a look around the gift shop (while I did not make a purchase, I was giving great consideration to buying a songbook filled with battle hymns & songs), we were taken for a tour of the Harper House (shown above) that was used as a Hospital during the war. We were also able to go inside the buildings that were used as the slaves quarter as well as the kitchen. Both were quite small & I cannot imagine what it must have been like to live in them. Though Civil War history is not amongst my favorite things to study, I do enjoy seeing the homes in which people lived, learning of their lifestyles & much more important, remembering that this is just a rich part of our American Heritage. After our look around, we were on our way back to Coats for a big evening. So stay tuned to my next post for that!