CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Amazing Race



Since it's premier in 2001, I've yet to miss a season or episode of CBS' The Amazing Race. In fact, when vacationing to Florida for Spring Training in 2002, our family took a TV with a VCR along & would record the episode & then all pile into one hotel room to watch it. While I will be honest & admit I watch a lot of television & a fair amount of reality T.V. shows, The Amazing Race is my favorite bar none. For those who have never seen the program I'll try to set it up for you. The season always begins with 12 or so teams of 2 (with the exception of the season they did families--not a good one at all. Hopefully they never do it again) from all over the country in different relationships with one another (married, divorced, dating couples, siblings, parent & child, friends, coworkers, etc.). The teams immediately embark upon a race that will lead them all over the world (literally) with the prize of $1,000,000.00 ahead of them for the team that will remain & come in first at the end. Throughout the race, the teams must complete various tasks which our generally activities frequently done in the country in which they are visiting. In addition to having to complete that activity as a team, they must pick between themselves who will complete other tasks set before them-oftentimes, something quite difficult or extreme. Once a task is completed, they are given a clue to get them to their next destination. After all of the tasks are done in a day, they are given a pit stop location & the last team to arrive at that spot, runs the risk of being eliminated from the race. Throughout the years, the teams have covered almost everyone the mind could think of going & many places that few would ever desire to go to. Many are blessed to have the experience & are moved by the people they meet & the things the see. Others are so self-centered & prissy that they have no heart of compassion when rolling down the streets of India. Instead of being moved to tears by the poverty & stench, they snarl their noses & state that the place is nasty. I usually have my favorite teams picked out within the first couple of weeks & cheer for them all along. It's puzzling to me though, why some people go on the show. Year after year, there are tasks that involve water & yet, people that can't swim or are fearful of water go on the show. If that's not enough, people deathly afraid of heights wind up on there when anyone who's a fan of the show knows that there are going to be tasks that require them to be way up in the sky. Now, I don't have a fear of water, nor do I have a fear of heights but I know full well I do not have the stamina or fearlessness to go on the show. I would not do 99% of the things they do just because I am way too big of a scaredy cat. If I weren't that way, The Amazing Race would be ideal & a dream come true to take part in--even if I did not win the million dollars. I watch the show each Sunday evening & watch with envy-wishing I could go to all of the places they go. This season (season 14) the teams made their first stop in Switzerland & were seen riding trains through the Swiss Alps. I was in awe of the beauty just on my television screen! If you love to travel, enjoy seeing the world & have not yet watched The Amazing Race, tune in on Sunday evenings on CBS. Season 14 will be going into the 3rd episode tonight so you've not missed too much yet.