CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Do I look like an Opal?

Like many girls do at some point & time in their life, I too, have planned out my future children's names far in advance (that is not to say that I will ever have kids or that if I did have children, those names I nailed down years ago would remain). I've looked through the baby books just for fun & decided upon names I liked & names I hated. I've wondered why in the world people would even give consideration to some of the names that are mentioned & certainly would not dare to name a child any of those names. I've laughed at the "old lady" names remembering though that one day, kids will think the name "Heather" is old-ladyish. Have you ever imagined yourself having another name than that which you have been given? Yesterday, a young lady of about 17 yrs. of age came into my work. She is a frequent member-we see her weekly. She is a virbrant individual full of zest for life. She also looks as though she just got in from a nice time at Woodstock...definitely a hippie chick. Once she was out the door, my coworker mentioned to me that she needed to have been born in a different decade. The coworker who said this to me is 50 yrs. old & still stuck back in the 60's herelf. She stated that the young lady very well could be her daughter because their personalities are so much alike. I had to agree. She said that if she were her daughter though, she would not have the name Jessica. She would be a Rose, Daisy or an Opal. At that point, I got to thinking about the fact that she (my coworker) is old enough to be my mother (my mom will be 51 in a couple of weeks). I mentioned that to my coworker & then told her that I, as an almost 30 yr. old was trying to envision myself being named Opal. How horrible would that be?! I mean, I can't see myself as Rose or Daisy either but Opal? No offense to those named Opal but that just doesn't seem like an appropriate name for anyone born after about 1940. We have a 27 yr. old member who comes into my work whose name is Gertrude. Every time I see her, I feel for her. How would you like to be so young & have such an "old" name. I imagine she gets called Gerti. Awful. How thankful I am that my parents did not name me after any family members & that I was not stuck with some terrible old lady name!