CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Love of a Father



1 Cor. 13:4-6 tells us that Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek it's own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth (NASB). In Galatians we learn that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self-control. While no one here on Earth is perfect, I venture it safe to say that few have ever seen someone who comes close to living out all that the Apostle Paul mentioned. However, for me, for the past nearly 29 years I have been fortunate to live with someone who does exemplify these attributes more than any human being I have ever met. Who is this person that I speak of? My father. Though there has been many opportunities for my dad to be upset and lose his temper, I have never seen it happen (well, once..he did spank me one time). When everyone else gets tired of waiting in line at the grocery store or for a table at a restaurant, he does not mind at all. I have never really heard my dad say an unkind word about anyone. There are so many admirable qualities my dad possesses and I know that is in part, due to his relationship with Jesus Christ. I've heard it said that many girls dream of marrying someone like their father. Though I often call him a nerd or a geek (he's a Civil Engineer, enjoys math, reads constantly & has much useless knowledge), there would be nothing greater than for me to one day marry a man with as much integrity as my dad. Unfortunately, I have watched some of my friends in the past search out love & affection from guys continually. Most of them, because they've not had a dad that offers them the attention they are so desperate for. Though our family is not indepently wealthy, my sister & I have been afforded the richest blessing of all-the presence & love of our dad daily in our lives. I only wish that everyone could be as fortunate as us. How I thank God that we have ALWAYS been a priority to our dad. As I get older, one thing never changes, I always enjoy spending time with good ole' dad.