CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 27, 2008

Overflow

 
Posted by Picasa



15 years ago, the State of Missouri experienced horrible flooding in many, many areas. Today, we are at the same point. Our church at the time, was a base for the American Red Cross as well as the SBC (Southern Baptist Convention) Disaster Relief Organization. My parents would take my sister & me along with them to church to help prepare sandwiches, bags of chips, etc. We would then split up & hop aboard Red Cross vehicles (that look like ambulance vehicles) & head into the flooded areas to deliver the goods. Though that was a number of years ago, the memory is still strong in my mind & I'm grateful that my parents saw the value in our helping. As the waters rose here yet again, I wondered how I could play a part. Unfortunately, it seems that there is no such base this time around.
 
Posted by Picasa

 
Posted by Picasa



However, there was (& still is) a great need for food & water to be supplied. Last week, I collected such & on Saturday, my parents, Haley & I carried a whole van load of water, fruit, chips, etc. to Clarksville, MO. Clarksville is a small town about 60 miles N. of us. Though sandbagging efforts had ceased & the job was then to maintain & see what happened, the residents were quite appreciative of our coming to gift them with necessities. After dropping off the food & water, we drove around some more to look at the water. Such devestation. How I pray for all areas that have been flooded & for the people that will be cleaning up for a long time after.