CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 7, 2008

Prelude to the 4th

Independence Day is, without a doubt, my favorite holiday. As many Americans do, I also take great pride in our country. I love the red, white & blue, our flag & songs of our country. I look forward to celebrating these things every July. After a long days work on Thursday, July 3rd, my dad & I went to FBC O'Fallon for their 4th of July service. Though I am no longer a member at FBCO, I will always cherish the moment in which each branch of the military's song is played & those who served (or are serving still) walk down to the front & stand beside their flag. Tears always well up within me when I look at those men & women & think of their willingness & readiness to defend our nation. Along with that special time, we listened to the choir & orchestra perform favorites like, "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "Yankee Doodle Boy" & my personal pick, "Stars & Stripes Forever." I am glad I was able to go & join everyone else in celebrating this wonderful nation we live in. Later in the evening, my friend Crystal & I headed to the Ozzie Smith Sports Complex to see Emerson Drive for free. Free is nearly unheard of these days so no way was I going to pass on the opportunity to see a concert at no charge. Though it looked like a storm was well on the way, the rain held off & it proved to be a pleasant evening-though cool, quite cool. Aside from listening to great music, I provided entertainment when the lawn chair I was sitting in collapsed with me in it. While leaning over to tell Crystal something, she noticed that it looked as though the chair may be broken. I stood to take a look & sure enough, saw that it was. I was able to sit back down in it but knew I best not move around much. She was already beside herself at the thought of the possibility of my crashing in the chair so when it actually happened, I don't know how she didn't pee in her pants. Anyway, after hearing hits like, "Moments", "Should be Sleeping" & "Fall into Me", we watched the fireworks & headed back to the car. Crystal brought me back home & came in with me to show my dad our chair. She was laughing hysterically as the story was retold. Oh what memories.