CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

On the Edge but Not Over the Hill

This past Friday, July 18th, I celebrated my 29th b-day. My birthday went just as I had hoped--unnoticed for the most part. I never have been one to enjoy being the center of attention or the focus of everyone in the room. With that being said, a bunch of hoopla on my birthday is something I find extremely embarrassing. I spent the day at work as though it was just another day. Unfortunately, not long before my shift was up, something happened & one of my coworkers questioned if it was my birthday. I replied softly with a "Yes & let's keep that on the down-low." Typically, I do not go out to eat on or around my birthday out of fear of being humiliated. My parents had asked where I wanted to go. I agreed to us going to Olive Garden only under the agreement that neither (not worried about my dad opening his mouth--just my mother) would mention one word about my birthday. They were warned ahead of time that if they did, all you know what would break loose. After not getting off work until nearly 6:30, the wait was going to be a hr. or so. We ended up at Denny's. Not my first pick but I knew that we would not have to wait there. On our way to eat, one of my friends called & wished me a Happy Birthday. He asked why I didn't sound too happy & if this was my 30th. I was quick to let him know that it was not my 30th & that I have a whole year for that! As my 10 yr. old cousin, Ian, told me a couple of weeks ago, "You're old! You're like almost 30." I said, "No, Ian, I will be 29. Besides, one day you'll be 30." He replied with, "Yeah, in like 20 years!" I am not 30, I am not 30!! I will cherish 29!

*P.S. - I was not unhappy. The friend calling was asking where we were eating & I was not about to tell him as he has a habit of pulling pranks on me & doing everything in his power to embarrass me. Though he said he & his family had already had dinner, I still did not trust him to not make a guest appearance at our table.