CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Heart of Worship



I venture to say that the majority of people across churches in America have, at some point & time, heard Matt Redman's "Heart of Worship." Like everything else we sometimes do, singing such a song can become habitual...no substance behind it. This morning, my pastor preached a sermon titled "Expression" & it dealt with worship. I am grateful to God for sending Pastor Bob to FBCH & each message thus far has spoken to me greatly. In particular, today's message really hit home hard with me. As Pastor Bob shared God's Word, I wondered...when did worship become about me? I am ashamed to admit that I have been one of those that have walked through the church doors, sat in the pew, sang the songs, heard the preacher preach (notice I said heard..not listened) & then walked out. I have gotten into my car & drove off wishing we would have done the songs I liked--the slower tempo song & not the one that repeats the lines a hundred times. I've wished the pastor would have talked about something else because I was bored with the message. As Pastor Bob stated, if we wish to know our purpose in life...it's outlined for us in His Word.The greatest privelege in life is to enjoy God & be enjoyed by God. Before I was even born, God knew everything that I would do (the good, bad & the ugly) & yet, He created me anyway. What a mind-blowing thought. Revelation 4: 11 says, "Worthy are You, our Lord & our God, to receive glory & honor & power; for You created all things, and because of Your will, they existed, and were created." Worship is not about you or me, it's about the Almighty. The pastor mentioned "Heart of Worship" & shared with us the story of how the song came to be. As I thought about the words of the song, I thought about how they rang so true of me..."I'm sorry Lord, for the thing I've made it, 'cause it's all about You, all about Jesus." Yes, we may have our preferences & while that is OK, if our preferenes interfere with our worship, it is not OK. Pastor Bob relayed to us the meanings behind the word "worship" as it is from the context of the English dictionary as well as the Hebrew & Greek. In Hebrew, the word means "to bow down." In Greek, "To kiss toward." He also said that it may also be compared to that of a dog licking the master's hand. If you have a dog or have been around dogs, you know that dogs are eager to see you...greeting you by jumping up on you, longing to be pet & loving you with their slobber as the lick you all over. The dog is "worshipping" it's owner so to speak. We were asked how often we run to our Master unable to get enough of Him because we are so eager to be in His presence. As I listned to the message, I thought about my trips to Siloam Springs, Arkansas for T.H.E.E. Camp (youth camp...The Heaven & Earth Experience) as a teenager & how my walk with Christ would get so rejuvenated & energized that when I returned home, I was set on fire so that I could not help but throw all fear of judgement or criticizm out the window & worship God freely. I was not concerned with what someone might think if I felt led to stand during a song & raise my hands in praise & adoration to the King of Kings & Lord of Lords. I did not care if someone might see me on my knees in prayer. Somewhere, over time, I lost what it meant to truly worship. Worship is not about whether or not I liked the guitar arrangement for the song we sang or if I thought Pastor Bob's message was too long. It's not about whether someone may or may not think I have serious issues because I decided to move to the altar to pray. Like Pastor Bob said, worship SHOULD make us uncomfortable. We should not be content to remain as we are. If I'm cozy doing what I'm doing, than I need an encounter with the Living Lord. As I thought about my life, I could relate when the pastor asked us how many times we had walked in to church & walked out on the same "floor" having not allowed Christ to take us to the next "level". The message today pierced my heart & I pray that it will remain in my mind for a long time to come. Father forgive me for my selfish, sinful ways & for making worship about me. I am sorry Lord for what I have made worship to be. May I forget about myself & fix my eyes upon You who is worthy & deserving of all my praise. May I humble myself as a child & bow unashamedly as the feet of You, My Father longing to proclaim You are Holy! May I worship without any reservations...with abandon.