CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 8, 2009

What's A Gal To Do?

Today is February 8th...days away from Valentine's Day. For those that are happily in love, it is yet another day to express that love one to another (of course, I'm sure guys don't view it that way-they probably see it as a day to watch their wallets become less full of moolah). What about those of us that are single though? For our family, Valentine's Day has always been different anyway. My Sister, Haley, was born on Valentine's Day-nearly 27 years ago (for those trying to figure it out-1982). So, February 14th was never just a day for our parents to celebrate as just the two of them but the holiday was shared with celebrating the existence of my sister. For many years, we would go out to eat as a family on Valentine's Day. As many of you know, Valentine's Day is a rather busy time to get into restaurants though as all of the women expect their men to take them out for a nice meal. For those not yet married, the girl sits waiting anxiously anticipating a ring to be presented at the end of the meal. Yeah, yeah...see, I know the routine..I know how it goes. Well, after many long waits to get a table, my parents finally made the decision that we would no longer go out on Valentine's Day but we would instead, stay home & just have a birthday dinner for Haley. I can't recall the last time we ate out on Valentine's Day. This year, Haley will not be with us on the 14th. That leaves me & my date. Oh wait, I don't have a date. So, guess that means it will be me & the 'rents (evidently that's the young folks way of refering to their parents). I got a good chuckle this morning out of my friend Amy. I am in a Singles class at church & of course, most in the class, are single. Amy, like I, is single as well. She was sharing that her parents had invited her home for the upcoming weekend & though she had considered going, when she realized it would be Valentine's Day, she decided to stay at home. She said she would rather be alone than to go out to eat with her parents & have everyone in the restaurant looking at her saying, "Oh, that poor girl..she's by herself." Amy, I hear ya. I feel your pain. The question then is, what shall we do? Before I became active with the youth group at church, they would have a Valentine's banquet/dance (yes, a dance at a Baptist Church). Perhaps that's an idea. Maybe we could have a country square dance & swing our pardner's (yes, I meant to mispell that) round & round. Hey, if we did that...maybe we'd find someone we liked huh? All the single people gathering for a meal is out of the question because once again, your taken back to the problem of having to wait forever & a day for a table. Could we all go to the movies? Should we get together & have a counseling session where we discuss our singleness & use up every Kleenex box available to wipe away our tears of loneliness? I'm working here people trying hard to find a solution as to what we ought do! Seriously though, I am sure I will find something to do this coming Saturday but I hope that whatever I choose to do, I am mindful that I am loved not only by family & friends but by someone that will love me more than any man ever will--I'm loved by Jesus Christ. Jesus, sweep me off my feet day by day.