CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 19, 2008

I Smell Like a Pancake!

As a child, just the very smell of breakfast foods made me nauscious. When our family would travel to Alabama to visit my mema & papa, we'd often stop at McDonald's before leaving town in the morning. While my parents & sister would order an Egg McMuffin or Sausage Biscuit, I'd be ordering a milk shake or sundae. After many years, I have finally come around to eating some breakfast foods but breakfast is not my favorite meal by any means. Tonight, I got off work & my parents & I went to have supper at Denny's. As I looked through the menu, I noticed a new item-the Grand Slamwich (or something like that); shaved ham, seasoned sausage, bacon, American Cheese, mayo & a Maple glaze all on grilled Potato Bread. I contemplated at great lengths whether or not I should give that a try or get my usual, Moons Over My Hammy. I decided to step out of the box. Knowing full well that I was not going to care for the Maple glaze, I asked for it to be left off. Our waitress brought our food out, sat my plate before me & immediately, my nose found the smell of maple. For a moment, I wondered if I was just smelling the pancake bites & syrup belonging to the people behind us. I took my first bite & knew right away that something in my mouth was maple-flavored. I ate as much of the sandwich as possible before getting sick of it. I did not "see" anything that looked like a maple glaze on it but then again, I was looking for a colored glaze & found nothing. I thought that it may have been that the bacon had that flavor. I passed it to my dad to try because well, he'll eat almost anything. He even said that he didn't think it was very good-too sweet. Though I had a few remaining bites on my plate, I had to pass on them. I couldn't bear to eat another bite. I stepped out & now I know, I won't be stepping out for that again. Unfortunately, since my return home, I've washed my hands multiple times & yet, they still like maple. The smell is sickening to me--takes me back to childhood rides in the car having to smell the breakfast food. I hope that soon, this smell will go away.