CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Black Friday

On the day often called "Black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving), my family & I, like most, headed to the stores. I had looked at the ads prior to our darting out & was on a mission. We entered into Wal-Mart & split ways--each of us going to the specific areas in which our items were to be found. I searched & searched for a particular item when my mom found one sitting on the floor in the middle of the aisle. I figured if was there, it was fair game. I grabbed it & threw it in the cart. The search continued for the rest of the merchandise desired. My Mom & I looked up & down, side to side, behind things, on the floor, etc. & it was to no avail. Apparently, I did not arrive early enough to beat the others that were racing for the items. Meanwhile, my Dad & Uncle were in another part of the store coming up short--everything they were in search of was sold out. As we left, I thanked my parents for all of the years they waited to get into the stores, stood in long lines & then raced in as fast as they could just to get my sister & me those Cabbage Patch Dolls or other must-have toys. Though not a parent myself, I caught a glimpse into what it must have been like for them & I must say, I believe it's not worth it. Just that short amount of time wore me out & made me wonder why in the world anyone would go to such trouble. Now, I realize that for some things you are getting them at a significantly lower price than usual but I just don't know if it's worth the effort in my opinion. But hey, that's just me. A while after the shopping excursion, we stopped by my uncle's work to install the webcam he bought in order to talk to my sister. Unfortunately, once it was set-up, she was not online so we weren't able to communicate. We left there & made our way to Shorty's-a dive outside of town that my dad had been dying to try for several years now. Shorty's does not appear like anything special on the outside (in fact, it appears more like a hole-in-the-wall dump) yet, there are always plenty of cars there. Usually, such is a great indicator that a place is good. So, we finally ate at Shorty's. Shorty's is just an inexpensive little joint featuring bbq, fish, burgers, etc. I wouldn't say it was the best place I've ever eaten but it certainly was not bad--especially for the price. My Cousin Melissa was in contact with Haley via MSN Messenger & was relaying messages for us to Haley--to stay online & we'd head back to my uncle's work. Thankfully, after a bit of confusion, we made the connection & were all able to see Haley's face & talk to her. I know that such puts my Mema & Uncle Rog at peace--having the ability to actually see & talk to her to know she is OK. We usually see a movie while we are down there--this time was no different. Having seen the previews for Four Christmases, we decided upon going to see that show. $6.50 to get in & for those who have yet to see the movie that are considering it, do not waste your money on it. For starters, the movie was only about 1 hr. & 15 min. long. Secondly, it really was not that funny. Third, the movie consisted of a great amount of sexual humor & references and lastly, there was not a whole lot about it that involved Christmas. Last year, I saw Fred Claus & hated it. Remember, the star of that movie was Vince Vaughn. As you may know, Vince Vaughn is also one of the lead actors in this film. I have determined that Vince Vaughn in a Christmas movie = huge let down, waste of time and unwise use of money spending.