CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Country Makes Me Smile

Daily, I enter into my workplace with stories to share about the international students I have become friends with. Regardless as to if I have seen the students the day prior or not, they are oftentimes on my mind. I love to tell of my times with them. Each student is unique. Each one brings something different to the table of friendship. As I ramble on and on about them to my boss and coworkers, questions arise. Those that work alongside of me are just like the students themselves-curious. Days ago, I was asked what the screening process was for the students to enter the United States. I knew that they must go before the U.S. Embassy for an interview but I had no idea what questions they must be prepared to answer. Several nights ago, 2 of the students treated me to dinner (so sweet of them!). As we visited during our meal, I inquired about their entry into America. They shared with me the questions they were asked by the embassy (for those wondering, let me know and I will fill you in...only 3 questions were asked of them) & said that whether or not they passed the interview was dependent upon the mood of the one conducting the interview. While both of the students I was speaking to made it through on their first try, some of the other students were not as fortunate. After we discussed the embassy, I began my own interrogation of them. Not really...I promise. I did wonder some things though and they were kind enough to allow me to ask questions. Having met a great number of students who have siblings or other family members pursuing an education in Australia, I questioned why that was as well as why those here in America selected our nation for schooling. Without taking any time at all, one of the students quickly responded by saying that the U.S. is the greatest nation in the world and that he knew he would have more opportunities if he came to school here. I must admit, I felt prideful. I felt as though I ought to pull out an American Flag & begin to wave it and begin chanting "USA! USA! USA!" One of the other students had shared with me months ago that one of the things that impressed him most about our country was the fact that someone who was raised in poverty with nothing could one day, become one of great financial wealth and success. In his home country, such would never happen. If you were born poor, you would die poor. As the Olympics are days away from coming to an end for 2010, I've had a chance to watch a number of the competitions. Like most, I love my country and sit on the sofa watching the TV in high hopes that the Americans will bring home the gold, silver and bronze every time. Right now, we (and by "we", I mean the U.S. For some reason I feel I am a part of that "we") lead all countries in the medal count with Germany closing in behind us. Our German friend, Claudia, has been over to watch some of the Olympic Games with us & she's commented that we (again, "we" meaning America) always win the most medals and she doesn't understand why someone else can't win. I just about slapped her silly one day. I was quick to let her know that she need not be upset about our hogging all of the medals..she should be happy for us. Then again, there is absolutely no enthusiasm whatsoever that flows from me when her country (or any other country for that matter) wins a medal rather than us. When we win a gold medal & our athlete stands upon the podium and our flag is raised and our anthem plays, each and every time, it is an emotional experience for me. Tears begin to spring up within and a smile comes across my face. I may not always agree with our government and like all things, it's easy to find negatives. Overall though, there is no place I'd rather be (unless God calls me elsewhere...which, some friends of mine are praying that he calls me to China to be with them) than in this....the land of the free, the home of the brave...The United States of America.