CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Zippin' Right Along


Prior to my trip to Nicaragua, I had been informed that there was a zipline that we could do during the course of my stay in the country. However, after hearing that the zipline was over an active volcano, I quickly opted out. Haley then stated that there was, however, one closer to her home & that it just went over a lake. I thought that might be a possibility. On my first full day in Nicaragua, the four of us went to the town of Sandino to do a bit of looking around. After driving around forever in search of how to get to the top of this big hill, we made it to a parking lot & got out of the car. We began to walk around when Haley said, "There it is." I wondered what she was talking about & asked, "There what is?" She replied with, "the zipline." I looked & sure enough, there it was...the zipline. Already, fear was creeping in. I was already considering following in my usual footsteps-being a chicken. Jesus went over to the desk to ask a dozen questions or more & as we all stared at the pictures on the wall that featured the course, etc. we were hesitant. We stood there for a rather lengthy amount of time discussing, debating & trying to decide whether or not we were going to go for it or walk away. I finally reached the point where even if no one else was going to go, I was. I kind of figured it may be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me & well, it was time to live a little (afterall, I would turn 30 in a few days!). Once everyone agreed to go, we began to plan out in what order we would go. I wished to go near the bottom of the pack so that I might watch those before me. If I saw them plummet to the ground & die, I would know not to step up there. The order was set..it would be: Haley, Luis, me, then Jesus. The guides got us all equipped in the harnesses & we were ready for a few pictures. The guy that had been "dressing" me in my gear had been rather friendly with me so I was in full expectation that he was going to be going with me on the zipline. I just had that instinct. As Haley prepared to take a picture of me, the guy ran over to be in the picture with me. At that moment, there was no question left in my mind. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt, he was mine. We finished snapping photos & all climbed upon the platform. All of a sudden, my guide climbed a step higher, reached for my hand & said, "Let's go." I said, "No, I'm going 3rd." He let me know I was not going third, I was going first..with him. I think the others thought that was fairly funny. I'm sure that my sister got a good kick out of it. The biggest scaredy cat of the bunch being picked to go first. So, off we went. I screamed to the top of my lungs. I was not frightened; just energized. We made it across & then watched the others at they zipped down the line. Then, it was time for the 2nd line. We went in the same order once again. When we got to the 3rd & final line, my guy decided to change it up a bit. While Haley had been last each time, she went first. Jesus & Luis went 2nd (they went together with a guide) & my guide saved he & I for last. He asked if I wanted to do the "Superman" pose & I said, "What the heck, might as well." After getting me ready to switch to that position, we were set. He said, "Just let go" & I let my hands fall from the line & we were on our way. While the first 2 lines did not bother me at all & were great fun, that final line was not so great. I think I should have stuck to my original position because as soon as we started flying down the line, I felt like I was going to throw-up. Needless to say, I did not really enjoy that a whole lot. Thankfully, I made it to the end without getting sick. Once I landed, the guide looked at me & said, "You're shaking." Mission accomplished-4 of us went up & 4 of us came down; all still alive. We had been told that we would have to take a taxi back up to the top but the guides were catching a ride back up on a truck. They were kind enough to allow us to ride with them. I knew I was not climbing in the back with everyone else because I knew the guide I had would not allow me to do so. Before I could even attempt to hop in the back, he was leading me by the hand to the front of the truck. He opened up the door & helped me in. I rode in the front of the truck with the driver-we had a silent trip as he knew no English & I did not know enough Spanish to even bother trying to converse. Once we got back up to the top, I waited because I knew full well that the guide would be rushing to open the door & lend me his hand to get down. I was right. I decided perhaps I should get a couple of pictures taken of he & I without all of the gear on me. We took the first shot & then he asked for another one. I was totally unprepared for the fact that on the 2nd one, he would be pressing his lips onto my cheek. I'm sure the look on my face must have been priceless at that moment as I was in utter shock. I think it's safe to say, that fella was smitten with me. I won't lie, he was definitely easy on the eyes. He gave me multiple hugs & repeatedly told me their hours & that if I'd come back, he'd gladly take me up there again. While we did not return there again during my visit, I am so grateful that we went. I don't think there are many out there that would dispute that I'm not very adventurous. For me, probably the most daring thing I will ever do. I was able to do it in the midst of beautiful scenery with a handsome guide amongst good friends. I would go back there & do it again in a heartbeat. I'd probably skip the "Superman" pose though! I had not planned on taking such a risk so early on in my visit but the fact that we did so, just made the week that much greater.