CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I Spy...Monkeys!




Day two found us taking a boat ride out on the lake in the City of Granada. Haley had been to the location before & knew that what we were going to do would be something I would enjoy immensely. As the boat rode the waves (lake was a bit choppy. Thankfully, not bad enough for me to get motion sick), we saw people in their swim trunks that were waist high deep in the water carrying machetes & baskets...they were fishing. We passed some beautiful homes...many of which belong to Americans. From what the skipper said, many Americans buy property there since it's so affordable. They then build homes to vacation to. After riding for a while, we finally pulled up alongside a little island. Haley said, "Heather, see the monkey?" I was nearly straining my eyes to catch a glimpse of one but I saw none. She pointed out to me that the monkey was right in front of me (I was looking further back in the trees & off to the sides). I felt like a little kid in a candy store...my eyes must have been wide! For most, the only monkeys they'll ever see are ones that are at the zoo. However, I was seeing them up close, out in the wild. Haley had bought some coconut candy that we were able to throw out for the monkeys to eat. Jesus & I did so. As the boat moved even closer in, Jesus reached right out to one of the monkeys. Now, I may have done the zipline but that was as far as my adventure streak would go. I was not about to touch the monkey (I realize I had immunizations before I left but I'm sure I did so for a reason!). Who knows if I'll ever experience something like that again...I hope I do.