CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Once Again

Once again, God allowed me to be at just the right place at the right time. A few weeks ago, Sakuras Japanese Steakhouse opened up down the road from our house. I decided last Monday, to go give it a try for lunch. I pulled into the parking lot and by the looks of it, figured I might be the only customer. I was correct-not another soul in there aside from the staff. Immediately, Toy rushed over to greet me and ask if I wanted the Sushi Bar. After telling her I desired to order of the menu and eat within, she seated me at a table. I was not at the table for very long as I was moved into another section once I told her I wanted the Teriyaki Chicken. I was then seated at the big table for eight generally used for groups. I found the whole thing rather humorous as there I sat alone in this large, empty room set up for 32 people. Soon, a gentleman came out to cook my meal before me-as is done during the Hibachi Grill shows. He had an audience of one. I'm sure he must have felt a little awkward coming out & twirling knives, throwing fire, building candles out of onions, etc. for a rather silent crowd (if I may call myself that!). He finished his show and I applauded him time and time again commending him on his great work. Toy continually visited the table. I inquired as to where she was from and also asked if any of the workers were actually Japanese. I discovered that she is from Thailand and everyone else is Chinese. When she said she was from Thailand, I shared with her that I may be going to Thailand next spring. She never asked why so I did not tell why. The more we talked, I divulged that I had been to Taiwan to teach English. Having never mentioned Christ, Jesus, church or anything of that nature, she returned to the table and asked me if I had been to Taiwan on mission (she was not sure what to call it but I realized she meant a mission trip). I was delighted to answer her with a "Yes." She then was curious as to whether or not a mission would be my reasoning for going to Thailand. Again, I said, "Yes." She diappeared and several minutes later, came back to the table and began to tell me that she is Catholic but rarely goes to her church. She said that when she goes, she does not see love from the people within, or care and concern for anyone. She said she wanted to know how to find love, joy and caring people at church. Having to busy herself since she was getting paid to work and not just socialize, she went to find something to do and returned shortly. We talked further and she asked if I went to church and where. I gave her the information and told her that she is more than welcome to go with me sometime. She seemed quite excited. She pulled out a business card for the nail salon nextdoor and wrote her phone number on it and handed it to me. We continued talking for sometime. She encouraged me to visit the nail salon nextdoor if I wanted my nails done. She is trying to strum up business for them as well. If I go, I am to call her so that she may go with me and work on teaching me some Thai while we get our nails done. Toy (yes, that is her name and it is pronounced just like a toy) is in her early 50's. She married an American man and has lived here in the USA for many years. She and her husband have a 30 year old daughter. She speaks 6 or 7 different languages and said she has worked most of her life in kitchens as a cook or a waitress. To some, they would just think that because it is a fairly new business, there weren't too many people in there that day. To me, I see it as God's providence. I was not there at that time by accident-He had a greater purpose in mind than mine which was just to get some food (which, by the way, was very good). Please, pray for Toy as I plan to contact her and am eager to get to know her further and share the love of Christ with her!