CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Dinner at the Diner

Friday nights typically consist of my coming home from work & hopping in the car with my parents to go eat dinner somewhere. Usually, we eat at the same places quite often. Recently, our Friday night ritual was shaken up a bit when my Mom was home ill. Of course, being sick, she was not up for going out to eat nor did she have an appetite at all. With both my sister & Mom being a bit more picky (OK, a bit may be an understatement) than my Dad & I, neither of them like BBQ. So, I suggested that my Dad & I go for some BBQ for the evening. We planned to do so although our plans were short-lived when the place we went to eat at was no longer a restaurant but just a catering service. Wondering where we would go instead, my Dad mentioned going to try out the new diner nearby where we were. I will eat pretty much anywhere so I was definitely in. We arrived & were seated outside on the back deck on the rather windy evening. We had to use the sugar dispenser to hold down our napkins & straw wrappers in fact. We each ordered the same thing (Country Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Corn, Texas Toast & Root Beer). Our meal was wonderful as was the environment. With old time music playing (my Dad said it sounded like something from the Little Rascals), the staff in uniforms idealistic of the 40's or so, and time spent with my Dad alone, I could not have asked for a better evening. Feeling better now, lastnight my Mom & Haley wanted to give the diner a whirl. We returned to let them take it all in. Both liked it very much so (Mom had the Country Fried Chicken, Haley had a Triple Club Sandwich, Dad had some Hash, Potato, etc. mound of food & I had Fried Chicken). After eating, we sat outside & listened as people sang Karaoke. On select Friday evenings, Karaoke is set up there at the diner. Dad & I left too early last time to catch any of it but we stayed for about 2 hrs. lastnight. While some were better than others (much better), all were quite entertaining. The diner is a new loved place for our family & I look forward to returning again for another enjoyable Friday evening.