CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 29, 2007

T'was the Night Before Christmas



For as long as I can remember, our family has had a dinner together on Christmas Eve & then took time to drive around & look at Christmas lights. Several years ago, we were told about a house nearby with many lights set to music. We have went there for the past 3 years or so. Each year, the show improves more & more. After my grandpa joined us & we ate Johnbenghetti (an old family recipe...noodles, hamburger, cheese, peas & pimentos), we all packed in the van for the ride over to Avondale. There is a pic of that house on the slideshow. Don't think that my dad would go to such great lengths in decorating! Once finished riding around, we returned & grandpa went on his way. We sorted all the presents out & began to open them. My wish was to receive nothing for Christmas (I felt that people had spent more than enough on me thanks to my job loss & time in the hospital) & I said I wished I could just pay my bills off. You'll see the picture of me holding up a gift from my parents (a book) with a less than pleased look on my face--that's why. I was upset that anyone had bought me anything at all despite the fact I liked the gift. So, I received an MP3 player, a portable DVD player, a book, a sweatshirt, money, a bracelet & a check from my sister to pay off one of my medical bills. When I saw her check to me, I got choked up & began to cry. Her intent was not to upset me but to give me exactly what I wanted...money to pay off bills. One of the gifts that meant the most to me was not one I opened up on Christmas Eve but days earlier when the notice arrived via snail mail for my sister & I. Some time ago, I had received information on supplying gospel packages (clothes, hygiene materials, toys, the New Testament, etc.) to children in China through Voice of the Martyrs. Knowing full well that my parents were not going to not get me a gift for Christmas, my request was that they just supply those kits to the Chinese. I was delighted to see that they had fulfilled my request. Perhaps, because of their donation, many Chinese persons were able to hear about the gift of Christ for the very first time this Christmas. I believe everyone got what they wanted this year & then some...including my mema & her Moon Pie ice cream. She is the epitome of having a sweet tooth with a diet consisting of Diet Dr. Pepper, cookies, pies & cakes. She once ate 8 double-decker Moon Pies in 1 Day. When my Dad saw the ice cream in the store, he knew he had to get it for her. Goodness, what fun we can have!!