CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Here We Come A Caroling



Several years ago, my family and I began to make it a tradition to ring bells for the Salvation Army at least once during every Christmas season. We did so right after Thanksgiving at a local Super Wal-Mart. Each year, we carry books of carols and Christmas songs with us and sing while we ring. In all the years of shopping during the Christmas season, I don't think I have ever seen anyone singing or doing anything else other than just ringing the bell. People seem to enjoy seeing us do so as we help to get them into the spirit. Though the temperature has been a bit on the chilly side many times, we still enjoy taking time out to go and ring for such a worthy cause. We will go to Dierbergs (a local grocery store) on December 18th to ring for our final time this year. In addition to this, we have went the past two years to my mom's place of employment (with HUD housing) to carol for the senior adults. Last year, I had a ball when we went there to sing. Afterwards, I spent time talking to a lady who was born and raised in London whose parents were from Ireland. She sang "Christmas in Killarney" for me from beginning to end. I was pleased to see her face there once again this time. Unfortunately, she exited out right after the songs and I was unable to speak with her. I did, however, enjoy conversing with a lady originally from Montana. We talked about the Rocky Mountains, the Tetons, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, etc. I agreed with her as she said, "there's a reason they call the west God's country." She told me tales of chasing buffalo's as a youngster. The two of us and a few others discussed the many ways the world has changed since they were kids. I so appreciate hearing the stories these older people eagerly await to tell. I look forward to returning next year to spread a little Christmas cheer. Whether I'm ringing bells or singing for the elderly, nothing do I love to sing any more than Christmas carols.