CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I'm Not a Flower Hater!


Birthday gift to my Mom!


Stargazer Lily

Despite the fact that I have on many occasions stated that I would not want someone to spend their hard-earned money on gifting me with flowers (my reasoning is this: flowers die within a matter of days. As nice as they are to look at, if someone is going to choose to spend money me, I would rather them do so on something that will last longer.), I DO actually have favorite flowers (which, they are shown above) and I see the beauty of flowers. While vacationing in Washington and B.C. in 2006, one of our stops was at Butchart Gardens. I must admit that I was not exactly looking forward to spending hours in a flower garden. However, once I was there, things changed. I discovered just how fascinating the garden was. I had no idea that there were so many different types of roses alone...each one with a different name. Many of the flowers had signs stating what flowers were cross-bred in order to make that particular flower and the year in which it came to be. Who knew flowers could be so interesting? I certainly did not! Now, while I do love to admire flowers, I do not claim to even have the slightest idea about names of flowers and so forth. I proved such yesterday when entering into a local florist to order flowers for my mom's birthday. Having looked at the arrangements in the case and not been impressed, I agreed to allow the florist make something special for me. She asked me what I would like and I started things by picking out a vase and then giving her a price point. She then began to name off flowers and ask me what I would like. Meanwhile, Haley stood beside me in laughter knowing that I didn't have the slightest notion as to what the flowers looked like by the names the lady was rambling off. Haley finally informed the lady that I knew nothing about flowers so I wouldn't know what she was talking about. Thankfully, the florist was kind enough to actually show me what the flowers were and tell me their names. I was able to point to one and tell her it was one of my favorites..she had to clue me in on the name of it. After seeing the options, I still was not able to communicate what I wanted (I think that was my indecisiveness coming into play) so I allowed the lady to do whatever she wanted. I think my mom's birthday gift turned out rather well. Apparently, others thought the same. As Haley & I were returning home, while stopped at a stop light, a lady in the lane next to us glanced over, saw the flowers & gave me a thumbs-up, nodded & smiled at me in approval. Good job me!!