CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

God Speaks At the Grocery Store...

One wouldn't think a quick trip to the grocery store could be so profound. Yet, it was. Yesterday, I was off work for the day. I had volunteered to prepare dinner for my family but needed the ingredients to do so. After finding all but 1 item needed at 1 store, I hurried along to another store. Aside from thinking of cost & guessing that this particular store would be less expensive, I've no idea why I chose the store; I never go there. Still, I went in & thankfully, found what I needed right away. I then raced up to the checkout line only to discover that all of the open ones in which cashiers were working were busy. Granted there was only one customer in line & their transaction would have been complete with in a matter of moments, I did not want to wait that long. So, I said, "Forget this" & went to the self-checkout because it's all a matter of convenience & having to wait would require being inconvenienced. I proceeded with scanning my items, bagging them, got them paid for & was on my way out the merry door. As I was returning to my car, I began to think about this society...America. Everything is about "me" & "my time". We are an impatient people. Drive-thru Fast Food establishments have been set in place for many years but we now have drive-thru windows at gas stations that enable us to simply drive-thru, tell the attendant what kind of soda we would like & she then delivers it to us. We have drive-thru's at our financial institutions because we don't want to drag the kids out of the car to go inside the bank. As many are aware, there are even drive-thru wedding chapels. As I thought about these things, I thought about how hurried I am generally. Unlike most countries in the world, we have booked our lives so jammed packed that we leave little time for those things really matter; things of eternal, lasting value. I wondered, how many opportunities have I missed because I've been too busy to even notice that God had opened a door?  Matthew 5:42 says, "Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you." Praying that His desire to use me for the furtherance of His kingdom would far outweigh any agenda, schedule or plan that I have of my own. Am I willing to be inconvenienced for the sake of the Gospel? I pray it is so. Should it mean that I may not get to do what I want to do, or that I don't get to do what I think I need to do, may I do so without grumbling or complaining but an open heart & eagerness. Thankful that He uses tiny things to speak to me in big ways.