CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Birthday Blessings to Remember

32 has come & gone & I've now aged another year to 33. I've had a relatively calm, peaceful, relaxing day aside from having to work. This birthday has been just as I prefer; of little to no fanfare. I often times get eager for death as I know there is a home awaiting me in heaven with my Lord & Savior. However, I know that God continues to allow me time on Earth because He still has a purpose & plan to which He desires to accomplish through me. Keeping that in mind, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on some of the things I'm most grateful for in the year that is now behind me. As I know God is calling me overseas, I realize that He's designed me unique & relational. I love to get to know people, learn about them & grow to love them. Over the last year, I've been so blessed with some of those that God has put in my path. Allow me to walk you through some of the people/things/situations I'm most thankful for. 

Some amazing students showed up at Lindenwood in the fall. Very quickly, I fell in love with Belen from Spain (left) & Andrea from Colombia (right). These 2 girls became almost like daughters to me in a sense. I was pleased to be the one they would call upon in their time of need. They both are absolutely amazing, beautiful girls from the inside out. While Andrea is with her family for the summer prepared to return here another month, Belen' will not be coming back. The joy of knowing the students is just that; joy. However, it is true heartbreak when we watch one walk away. Belen will be missed!!


By now, most of you are aware that we nearly lost my dad last summer. What would have been our loss would have been heaven's gain. Thankfully, God saw fit to leave my dad here on Earth with us. Dad's miracle of life & his return home to be with us was by far (& still is), the greatest day.


As I mentioned earlier, there were some incredible students to arrive in the fall of 2011. Though Haley & I had primarily been closer to guys in our first 2 years of working with students, the Lord drew us near to a phenomenal group of girls this go around. Below: I took some of the girls Apple Picking.

Back row Left to Right: Hanne (Belgium), Andrea (Colombia) & Belen (Spain)
Seated by me is Shreeja (Nepal)

 One of the greatest blessings I experienced during my 32nd year of life was God enabling me to finally meet some Christian Nepalese Brothers & Sisters in Christ. On a trip to Minneapolis for a John Piper Missions Conference, I was pleased to receive a phone call from this sweet couple (residents of Minnesota) requesting to meet with me. What a blessed time it was for me to be able to sit & speak with them openly about our faith & my love for their country & its people.

Samuel & Manika Shrestha & me.


Again, one of the students we met that really touched us was Sandra. This girl has a heart of gold! 

 Sandra (Zimbabwe) & Me

At the advice of a friend, I contacted someone he knew (named Mike) in hopes that he would be able to counsel, give wisdom to missions. Surprised by how well we got along, that first meeting was just the beginning to a friendship I'll forever cherish. 
   Me & Mike



 Bottom pic is of me & Hanne (Belgium). Hanne is on the Cycling Team at the university. Thanks to going to watch one of her races, I might have an interest in the sport now! On the top, is a pic of Nufar (Israel) & me. Both Nufar & Hanne are girls that became so dear to my heart over the course of the last year. I'm so happy that both of these girls will be back here within a month or so.

Another young lady that Haley & I met & felt a real connection to was Maggie from Germany.

 Keeping with the theme of girl fun, though Brigitte had been at the university for a while; we did not know her though. I only wish we would have met her sooner!

Brigitte (Peru) & Me

With good, comes bad. Though I've had many great times throughout the last year, one of the difficult times was saying bye to my best buddy Zach as he headed overseas to Kuwait with the Army. I've missed Zach badly (still do). I'm thankful for Facebook & Skype that enables us to communicate every once in a while but I miss my friend being here...easily accessible to talk to. I miss having him alongside of me as a coworker (well, when he returns...I'll be his boss!). I'm very eager for November, December or January when he should be back in the U.S.

Me & Zacky (nickname). Yep, he ALWAYS looks this thrilled!


In January, our family traveled to Nicaragua for Haley's Wedding & marriage to Jesus'. I had heard much about Byron & was anxious to meet him. He lived up to everything I had heard about him & was so much more. I only wish we would have had more time to sit around singing songs of praise & worship!

Mi Amigo, Byron & Me
 While in Nicaragua, I fell in love with my sister's new in-laws...Patricia (Jesus' sister) & Mario (Jesus' brother).

If you've not read my entry on here titled "Hope in the Darkest of Times" I encourage you to do so. When you do, you will read that the lady below was truly a Godsend to our family (as was her husband, Nathan).

Melody & I enjoying our Chocolate Ice Cream that she lovingly bought us!

Haley & I have been so fortunate to meet students (hundreds) from all over the world. We've grown to love so many of them (you). My happiness comes not from my own accomplishments but from watching those I love succeed. I'm so pleased to be able to share in monumental moments with students...especially when their parents aren't able to be here for them. Thankful to be "family" for them. In May, I beamed with pride as I watched my brothers (also 2 of the very first students we ever met after we began volunteering at Lindenwood) graduate with their Bachelors Degree. Congrats again to my brothers. I love the two of you more than you'll ever know!

Me, Volter (the Ukraine), Kwaku (Ghana) & Haley

I am always ecstatic to have the chance to meet the family members of the students we work with. Knowing God is leading me to India or Nepal, I'm exceptionally happy when I get to meet those student's family members. When I heard that my friend Saroj's parents were coming to the U. S. for his graduation, I immediately asked if I could pick them up from the airport. I had no idea that I would not only welcome them to my country but his grandma (Aama) as well. I have thoroughly enjoyed every second with these warm-hearted individuals. They remain here for just a short time remaining. I look forward to getting in some more visits with them.
My friend Sarru, Aama, Me & Saroj's Parents.


Even as of today, I must give thanks to the new friend he's brought into my life. I am so thankful for you (you know who you are). God's blessings are overflowing & you are one He has poured out upon me. I am encouraged to know someone that has such a deep passion for Jesus, a love of His Word, a heart for His people & so many other things. I thank God for you.

There are so many other moments I could have/should have shared but this highlights just a few. God has been so good to me. How can I keep from singing His praise? Thank You, Lord Jesus for allowing me another year to have served You. May I have been found faithful in the year behind & may I be found faithful in the days ahead. Amen.