CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Memories of The Night Before Christmas

I do not have any recollections of this for I was just a child; but every year I hear the story told. My mema tells of sleeping in my bedroom with me when I was just a little girl & on Christmas Eve, I said, "Mema Santa Claus is coming!" She says that we laid in my room listening for Santa & his reindeer to land on the rooftop. Apparently, it was at that time that I told her, "Mema, I'm getting married." When she asked me who I was marrying, I replied with "Jeff Pool." Jeff was a guy a good 10-15 years older than myself that attended church with us. Again, I don't recall either of these things but I get to hear about them each Christmas. Aside from being reminded of the "cute" things I said way back when, I have lots of memories of Christmas Eve's gone by.


For as long as I can remember, my mema, late papa (my papa went home to be with Jesus in June 2000) & my Uncle Roger would come up from Alabama on the day before Christmas Eve. With them, would be my Uncle William's parents; also from Alabama. Christmas Eve would consist of scurrying around to buy last minute gifts (this still continues today unfortunately), a dinner in the home, piling in the van to go look at Christmas lights (while my dad played cassette tapes he compiled with all of his favorite Christmas music) & last but not least; opening presents from the family. Christmas Morning was reserved solely for opening the gifts from Santa.

Years later, the traditions remain pretty much the same. Really, the only difference is the process of unwrapping presents. No matter the tradition, the biggest blessing is simply being surrounded by family & the memories created year after year. Always is enjoyable to look at pics of ourselves & see just how goofy we looked, what gifts we were ecstatic about & most of all; reflect on the time shared together. As I consider that within a few years that I'll most likely be living overseas, the time with my loved ones here becomes that much more precious. As precious as it is, I await the day I'll be on the other side of the globe creating new memories with an adopted family & celebrating the significance of this time of year with new friends.