CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Heart, My Desire



Since my trips to Taiwan in 2005 & 2006, there has been a deep yearning in my heart to be involved in building relationships with those from other cultures-specifically Asians. I have been lost with where to go or what to do. Several had mentioned that I should head to Lindenwood University & work with the International Students. While that sounded great, I had no idea what I could do or who I would even need to talk to that could help me. A few months ago, a friend of mine approached me at church & handed me a flyer. He did not ask me if I wanted to take part in this ministry or if I would even be interested. His only request was that I get the word out to others about the ministry that our church would be partnering with. Doug did not have to beg & plead with me to jump at the opportunity because he knew my heart. He knew that I would not have to think about it or hear more details. That which was being presented, was what I had prayed for long ago! 2 weeks ago was the beginning of fulfillment for me as I walked into the room at the Spellman Center at Lindenwood & met a number of International Students. Strange how I am generally an introvert & when in a group, say nothing but when put in a room amongst many internationals, I have no problem being outgoing. I find myself walking right up, extending my hand & introducing myself. I long to talk to them, find out where they are from, learn about their country, hear about their interests & so forth. All of these things have been pouring out of me as I have gotten acquainted with my new friends. As I continue to spend time with these students & our relationships deepen, I pray that God stirs their hearts & that He uses me to share His love freely. I think back to 2006 when I came home from Taiwan & began to write of my experiences & mail those out to you, my friends. Included with my letter, I sent out picture prayer cards that had both myself as well as one of my students. On the card, I had the following scripture: "Brethren, my heart's desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. " - Romans 10:1 Three years later, my prayer remains the same for the Hakka in Taiwan & 3 years later, my prayer is also the same for my new found friends. When I think of them, immediately the song above (in the video) comes to mind. Truly, that is my heart, my desire.