CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Better to Have a Broken Heart?

Working with the public, I hear anything & everything. People seem to feel an openness to share their entire lives with us regardless as to whether or not it's something we need to know or even care to know. From time to time though, individuals do bring about conversations with us that are pleasant, comical or leave us wondering a lot. Today I experienced such. A man a year younger than myself (for those asking how old I am, I'm 30...there, I said it!) came in & presented both cash & checks for deposit. One of my coworkers rushed up to begin speaking with him. Evidently, the two of them went way back. The money going into his account was given to he & his fiance' at a recent bridal shower. On October 17th, he will become a married man. As he & my coworker talked there at my station, I was obviously privy to everything that was being said. My coworker was asking him how he found the place that the reception was going to be held at. After telling her all about it, he then informed her that when her oldest son "finds the one", he should look into renting the same place for his wedding reception. The two then began to discuss her son's broken heart. After dating a girl for a couple of years, the girl had broken up with him. His mom seemed to think that he may finally be over the girl. At this point, the young man told her that he believes that no one should ever get married until they've first had their heart broken. He spoke of dating many girls & giving no thought to dumping them back in the day. He said that after ditching so many girls, he was finally the dumpee once & his heart was crushed. He then realized what it felt like & that he caused a lot of pain to a lot of girls. Upon this realization, he said he called every girl he had dumped carelessly in the past & offered them a heartfelt apology. Because he had been through heartbreak himself, now he was able to love & appreciate the one he was in love with. Call me crazy but I think it will be just fine with me should God bless me with the love of my life without my having to bawl my eyes out & sit in misery over someone that has decided to trample all over my heart. Have I been in love yet? No. There was someone that I think I probably believed I loved at a point in time in my life but those feelings were not returned (after a few years, God has shown me that though a great guy, he would not have been good for me). I have had interest in many wonderful guys but they have never expressed interest in me past friendship. While that can be disappointing at times, I've not been devastated over it. No matter how much I may desire someone, I realize ultimately that God is in control & I'm better off letting Him lead. As most are aware, I've yet to be in a serious relationship. Therefore, I've not had my heart broken. Some may say this is a bad thing. I, on the other hand, see this as God watching over me & protecting me from hurt & pain. So, while this fella today feels everyone needs to have their heart broken, I think I'm going to disagree. I don't consider myself a prideful person but I can honestly say that I am proud that, with God's help, I have kept my heart guarded & that still to this day, the only hands I have placed my heart in are those of the hands of my loving Jesus, who will never break my heart. I trust that I will one day (Lord-willing) be rewarded for my patience in waiting on God's man for me. Then, in that moment, will I share my heart with another.